Individual Study Abroad Consultation
For students who wish to study abroad or who have already decided to study abroad, faculty members at CIEE are available to provide advice via e-mail or in individual meetings. It also arranges opportunities for students who wish to study abroad or have a study abroad offer to talk with students who have study abroad experience on a regular basis.
To make an appointment for study abroad consultation with faculty members, please visit "Study Abroad Portfolio" and make an appointment.
As a step in the preparation for study abroad, we provide students with the following information at the study abroad consultation. We hope that the information would be helpful to students who are considering to apply for an exchange program.
Steps to prepare for an exchange program
- GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Language score, at least IELTS 6.0 or higher, TOEFL iBT 79 or higher
- The higher the score, the more options you have.
- For other foreign languages, if there are no standards or requirements set by the host university, a certificate of language proficiency we prepare for one of the application documents is acceptable!
- Both are required by the time you apply for internal selection at Osaka University!
- Consult with your teachers about 1. study abroad, 2. credit transfer, 3. year-round courses, and 4. letters of recommendation
- Think what to write for the personal statement and course plan (check your application form as soon as possible)
- Make sure that there are some connections among the past, present and future when you write a personal statement.
- When writing a personal statement, think about reasons other than learning English, understanding other cultures, gaining confidence, or leaving the comfort zone.
- Find out about scholarships (guidebook and JASSO's page)
- Consult with seniors who have study abroad experience (check the latest information by yourself)
- Narrow down the list of universities you would like to attend (it is better to narrow down the list to about three so that you can have a concrete discussion during the study abroad consultation).
- Think about what you want to do and learn overseas. ( Recommend you to write a list of 100 things you want to do and learn.
- Length of study abroad (you would like to graduate in 4 years or you can be a 5th year student)
- Participate in short-term language programs during a vacation if time and money allow.
Place and time of study abroad consultation
*Due to the spread of COVID-19, online consultations for study abroad are available for the time being. ID and PW for online consultations would be sent only to students who make an appointment.
Toyonaka Campus *Appointment required
- Date and time: Every Thursday during the semester 12:00-13:00
- Place: CIEE Short-Term Program Team Office, Osaka University Hall (Room 317, 3rd floor)
Minoh Campus *Appointment required
- Date and time: Every Tuesday during the semester 12:00-13:00
- Minoh Branch Office, Center for International Education and Exchange (1F, Building B)
Suita Campus *Appointment required
- Date and time: Please check at the study abroad portfolio.
- Location: Suita Campus, in IC Hall
Contact: Center for International Education and Exchange: go-abroad(at)ciee.osaka-u.ac.jp